Monday, March 19, 2012

"Who loves you best?"

Photo by Laura Kee Clouse
Every morning we read some sort of devotion to start the school day. These are short and on the age level of our child at that time. 

When our youngest was in elementary school, we usually read a short biblical account, followed by questions. Sometimes our learning disabled son could answer, sometimes not.

One particular day I wanted to help him get the correct answer ~ boost his morale. Question: "Who loves you best?"

He guessed ~ his mom, dad, brothers, Grandma. 

I tried again~simplifying my question. Still no correct answer. Then I said, "I'll give you a clue. This is how you spell the answer: G-O-D."

Our very good speller's eyes lit as he clapped his hands together and exclaimed, "The dog!"

We had a good laugh over that one. And, although the dog did love him very much, that wasn't what I was going for either. Yet several times since I've thought about our son's connection to animals~man's best friend in particular~and seen correlations between the dog and God.

Please do not throw your computer and scream, "Heretic!" I mean no disrespect to God, as I revere Him above all. But think about it. On an earthly scale, aren't dogs great examples of unconditional love? Parents or friends can be, but they aren't always. Yet the family dog will greet you like you're royalty every time you enter your home, lick you and show affection even when you've wronged it, and remains loyal and true.

Photo by Laura Kee Clouse
God's love is unconditional. I cannot compare His amount of love with anything on this earth~only use one of His creations as a mini-example. Our dog, however, didn't lay down her life and die for us. (Who would? Military? Parents? Given that choice.) Only Jesus, God The Son, did that and then rose again~proving He is our Living God.

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God ...
1 John 3:1 

God loves so much He's made a way for us to be with Him for eternity. You can click on one of the tabs near the top of this blog to learn more about that. If you're not His child, you can become His today. If you are His yet have erred, He hasn't stopped being your Father or ceased loving you. 

So, who loves you best? I'll give you a clue. This is how you spell the answer: G-O-D!

6 comments:

  1. Delightful blog site and wonderful for-all- time for all people message. God bless your new venture for Hs glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh. I'm sure glad God loves me best. Great post, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sarah. That is a good lesson for us. We really need to remember G-O-D's unfailing, unmerited love. Nothing can separate us from His Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Fran. You are in my prayers for your ministry as well.
    Elaine, I still laugh when I recall this story too. Thanks for your encouragement, buddy.
    Jean, you're right. It's a Love I cherish yet cannot fathom. So grateful to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,

    I had to laught because I read "D-O-G", lol so as you transitioned to your son said dog I didn't get the joke and had to go back and reready. LOL Guess my dyslexia is in high gear this morning with my tired brain. In all seriousness though, beautiful blog and thought provoking. :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, Lisa! Me too! I had to double check to make sure I didn't type it wrong. I still struggle with "was" and "bed," and have invented ways to write them without reversing. Aren't we a hoot?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave your comments. I welcome them.