Sunday, May 20, 2012

Forgotten Treasures

Our on-going effort to remove clutter and unused items from our home resulted in my husband purchasing a USB turntable ~ spending countless hours converting well over 100 vinyl LP records into digital format and burned onto CDs.

Weeks later, thanks to hubby's hard work, I enjoy beautifully performed classical music ~ a collection once belonging to his parents and one they treasured. No wonder. Even now as I write, my heart and mind are calmed by the works of Bach, Handel, Liszt, Schubert, Haydn, Brahms, Mozart, and many more.

Not only do I enjoy this, but I love hearing those melody lines used in songs found in our hymnals. Then there are others that live in songs of our day and age, walking me down memory lane. So this phase of Operation Downsize has been (other than boxes of records and stacks of electronic equipment all over our living room) pure pleasure.

For years these records sat in boxes, were stored in closets, and filled our bottom bookshelf  six feet from where I new write. Unused.

I liken this to my Bible. God gave His precious Word to us century's ago. We have many Bibles filling our bookshelves. This holy Book is filled with treasures and within fingertip grasp. Yet if I leave them as "objects" filling our shelves, I miss the treasures God has for me.

In the pages of God's Word are life, hope, blessing, love, and ~ oh ~ so much more! Through reading what God wrote to me, I build a relationship with my Savior and become more like Him through the time we spend together.

Today I will not only treasure the beautiful music filling our home, but I will also wonder in the life-giving, hope-breathing words God has given.

3 comments:

  1. I love classical music as well, but there is nothing that makes me sing like God's Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Elaine. I couldn't have said that better. How true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts, Sarah. I love classical music, jazz, blues but more than that I love worshiping God. His love is amazing, his faithfulness astounding and his mercy and grace just make me want to sing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave your comments. I welcome them.