Wednesday, January 18, 2012

C.S. Lewis and I

What do I have in common with late author C.S. Lewis? Love for and devotion to letter-writing. Since a young girl, I’ve written letters. I so loved epistle writing that, as punishment for bad behavior, my Mom took away postage stamp-using privileges.

Mr. Lewis believed personally answering his mail showed more than good manners. He saw this as part of his service to God, feeling each correspondent deserved a reply. Sometimes brother Warnie and wife Joy helped lighten his load. He exchanged letters with his pen pal for decades and also wrote to children.

I’ve been down-sizing and in doing so unearthed piles of letters from ages past~some from WWII soldiers replying to my mom via the Red Cross. I’ve a special appreciation for these, having 3 sons in the military and knowing what letters meant to them during their 7 deployments. My love of letter-writing became a mission those years.

I also found a wartime letter written by one of my Dad’s siblings, telling him each of his 5 sisters chose a day of the week to write him during his tour in Europe. How that must have encouraged their brother!

Letter-writing’s referred to as a “lost art.” Folks say they don’t have time or they’re not gifted with words. Did you know it takes no more than 5 minutes for most people to write a few sentences in a note, letting someone know they’re remembered, prayed for, cared about?

Despite this modern age of technology, I still like a hand-written letter. There’s nothing like holding one in my hands, reading it at will, and treasuring it for a lifetime if I wish.

May I challenge you to drop someone a note this week? You never know if the words you share may be the gift of hope needed that very day. You might just be sending someone a treasure.

Also during down-sizing, I found this aged poem...

To "Say it with flowers" is one way of expressing yourself to a friend,
But a personal message is often just what you would like to send.
A message of hope to the weary ... to the sick, a note of good cheer,
To the well, to the glad, to the merry, to all in need, far and near.
In fact, the Pease* Line will give you a word to each friend, old or new,
And these words of good cheer which you send all the year like an echo will come back to you.
(L.F.P., Author)
*as written in the poem

8 comments:

  1. Love this! I am still writing out the christmas thank yous by hand. My hand writing used to be so good, now its yucky. Why? Because I use the computer so much, mostly the only thing I write is my signature. This was inspiring and I love the Moonbow...it is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letters are such a rare form of encouragement. I, too, treasure them all, and I have a personal note from you within arm's reach that is a warm reminder of our friendship. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Connie...and I know your notes will bless those who receive them.
    Ferree, glad one of my notes encouraged you. I, too, keep letters at arms' length for moments I need a boost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sarah. You reminded us that a personally penned letter is held not only in the hand but in the heart and memory. I have every one of the letters that an aunt wrote to me (dozens of them) from the time I was four until she died thirty-some years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Gayle! You've been blessed with lots of treasures. What a wonderful aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saray and Brian,

    I am a letter writer myself. I simply enjoy it and it warms my heart to think of the recipient opening the letter. I agree, there is something personal and powerful in the tactile gift of a note. I can remember sitting for lengths of time to write notes, always! I so admired that. It only takes less than a minute to drop an email but a hand written note takes a little more time yet, in my opinion, speaks volumes to say "I value you enough to sit down and spend time remembering you. And spending the postage to deliver it to you." How wonderful it is to receive a card instead of bills during the week. lol

    Great reminder. This is something I have slacked in as my own writing has gotten busier. I needed this nudge.


    Lisa M Buske
    http://lisabuske.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, you are so right! I'm hoping this modern world of tech doesn't steal away personal and private moments of sharing love "on paper," not only with notes and letters but with books too. I'm hoping that e-books are just a fad, and folks will return to the feel of a good book in their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, I'm sure you bless many lives with your caring sweet notes. Marsha, you and me both! I don't know if e-books will become the norm. Money may decide that. The letters I mentioned in this post? More than 65 years old! I don't think we'll be reading e-mails that old. By then, folks may ask, "What's e-mail?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave your comments. I welcome them.