Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Age & Worth


Even to your old age and gray hairs I AM He, I AM He Who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4 NIV

This morning my son and I read about John, beloved disciple, sentenced to a lonely island by the Roman government. His crime? Preaching about Jesus. John followed his Savior before the cross, during, and after … and here he is an elderly man. Alone. Exiled. Seems his ministry’s done

Not so. God’s Holy Spirit spoke to John and anointed him to pen the Bible book of Revelation while in this desolate place. God showed John the end times, the glory of Heaven, and~oh~so much more.

I enjoy visiting old folks. Once I sat with an elderly saint who cried, “Why am I still here?” I told her many depended on her hours of faithful prayer and assured that she’d go to Heaven when God’s purpose for her was completed. She sighed, nodded, and laid her head on my chest. I stoked her thinning gray hair as we sang hymns together. Two months later God took her Home.

Winter months drag for shut-ins. Many tend to fall into depression, especially where the climate isn’t kind. Some feel neglected due to the fast-paced, busy lives of those who love them but can’t be there.

There’s worth in age. These dear ones are monuments to God’s faithfulness. Through their stories and testimonies we’re assured God’s trustworthy and true. Elderly believers are prayer warriors, “holding up our arms” during battle so we don’t faint. What would we do without these who spend long hours petitioning the Father on our behalf?

Our elderly are treasures. Each one. Enjoy these saints who near and long for Home. You will find, as you encourage, you’ll be blessed in return. Yet realize not all are ready for Heaven and may not have much time. They, too, need to know the Savior. Perhaps you can be used of God to show them the way.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah and Brian,

    A beautiful post. My Gram ran the Spencer Nursing Home when I was a little kid. I loved spending the day with Gram and all the residents. I learned so much from them. I learned to laugh, to joke around, who's bed we could and couldn't jump on (lol), how to play checkers, and many more things. The wisdom and love in their hearts was bountiful. As an adult I worked as a cook at one of the larger nursing homes and it was my hours after work visiting the residents that made my job all worth it. In the past few years I have enjoyed singing Christmas carols and the various senior housing places in the area. Yo have me thinking of how and who I could visit throughout the year.

    Thank you so much for the reminder.
    Lisa M Buske
    http://lisabuske.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had so many rich experiences in your life, Lisa. Thank you for the way you let God lead. You're a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave your comments. I welcome them.