Sunday, September 2, 2012

Solid Ground ~ Part 2

Firm foundations are essential. I'm convinced we can only survive if we are anchored in solid ground. As I reflected on the subject of hope, I realized this is key.

Back to doctrine (mentioned in part 1) ~ Foundations of our faith based on God's Word, the Bible, serve as building blocks for everything else in our lives. If we trust Jesus as Savior, Who Himself is the Rock and Cornerstone, then we've taken the first step toward building that foundation. But is that enough?

Yes, it's enough to seal our salvation from sin and destination to Heaven ~ also our escape from hell. No, we should not stop once sealed by the Holy Spirit even though our salvation is complete. We need to grow ~ become anchored. That's why God instructs us to learn more of Him through His Word. By reading and memorizing the Bible, we grow in our relationship with Him and remain on solid ground. God speaks truth. Truth is hope's foundation.

All through history false teachers have risen up and attempted to convince people there are other foundations. But all these, based on false gods, have failed. Like building a house on sand. The only one Who has stood the test of time is the Trinity ~ God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Why? Go back to the cross. Jesus, God the Son, not only took our sin on Himself and shed blood for our forgiveness but rose again and lives. Had He not risen again, would He be any different from the others? His grave is empty. Truth lives. Hope lives.

My faith is not only founded on solid doctrines/teachings/ground, but I can say without a doubt I serve and love the Living God. You may ask what that has to do with hope, truth, and doctrine. My answer? Everything. By learning God's Character through time spent in His Word, I realize one of God's attributes is that He Is Truth ~ thus He Is Hope. If I don't learn more of Him, I could easily waver when other "gods" try to sway me.

So learning about God's attributes and growing in Him is essential for my life, faith, and how I carry out my civic duty. Some will argue that character, morals, and wishy-washy beliefs do not affect who we are as a people, body of Christ, and nation. I disagree...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave your comments. I welcome them.