Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crazy Love

Many people loved me~parents, grandparents, sister, genuine friends, my husband and kids. But One loved me more than any of these precious folks. Numerous Bible verses share God's Love, but one causes me to awe...

"For one will scarcely die for a righteous person~though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die~but God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:7&8

My folks and husband loved me through unlovely times, but Jesus Christ is THE One Who committed to die on a cross before I was a thought in my parents' mind. He KNEW I'd need that kind of love. I cannot comprehend this.

A great hymn for today...
The love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell; It goes beyond the highest star, and reaches to the lowest hell; the guilty pair, bowed down with care, God gave His Son to win; His erring child He reconciled, and pardoned from his sin.
When hoary time shall pass away, and earthly thrones and kingdoms fall, when men who here refuse to pray, on rocks and hills and mountains call, God’s love so sure, shall still endure, all measureless and strong; redeeming grace to Adam’s race—the saints’ and angels’ song.

Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made, were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade; to write the love of God above would drain the ocean dry; nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky.
Refrain: 
Oh, love of God, how rich and pure! How measureless and strong! 
It shall forevermore endure—the saints’ and angels’ song. 

Under the lyrics of this hymn (on the Internet) a note read, "Verse 3 was penciled on the wall of a narrow room in an insane asylum by a man said to have been demented. The profound lines were discovered when they laid him in his coffin." How crazy was one grasping this concept so powerfully! Who could have said it better? Perhaps the apostle Paul when he penned...

"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come,
nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us
from the love of God." Romans 8:38-39

Great hope on this day we celebrate Love!

7 comments:

  1. Isn't God good to show us His love most when we are in prisons. Thanking the Lover of my soul for being with me always—not just on Valentine's Day.

    Elaine W. Miller
    www.SplashesofSerenity.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I believe we'll only fully understand God's love for us when we look in Jesus' face in eternity. Our carnal minds are so finite and limited.
    Thanks for the beautiful post. It's touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the time, Elaine! And you're right, Marsha. Thanks, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still, after 40-plus years of knowing God loves me, can't fathom why or how much. I'm not familiar with this hymn, so thank you for introducing me. I absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, Catrina! Maybe you could look up "The Love Of God" on YouTube. Now, there are 2 hymns named that, but I know Gaither Vocal Band sings it. I imagine that may be on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God that He sees far beyond what we see and think. His loves reaches even the heart of those who are beyond our reach, when we don't understand or get how someone can be a certain way. I am so glad that God sees the heart of those who are ill or are considered ill in their minds. His compassion fails not. Thank you for sharing this. It is one of my favorite songs thanks to my daughter bringing it to my attention around Thanksgiving time last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen. Lori, I'm glad your daughter introduced you to this hymn. The words penetrate and astound.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave your comments. I welcome them.